I had an interesting experience in this year’s NaNoWriMo. As you know, the objective is to write 50,000 words of a novel in the calendar month of November each year. I was doing NaNo for the second time this year and decided to incorporate a few of my learnings from last year.
Knowing the importance of having ultimately having chapters of fairly similar length, I worked on several chapters simultaneously. An Excel sheet helped me track the word count for each chapter. This ensure that the novel progressed on an even keel. It avoided the possibility of it becoming too heavy in the start and light in the end or vice versa.
Apart from tracking the word count across chapters, this somewhat unconventional approach helped me truly view the story from a bird’s eye view. By then, I already knew the end I wanted. This was very different from last year’s experience where I went sequentially from one chapter to the next and found the story plot changing as I went along.
I found this year’s approach quite useful. It perhaps was a case of putting one’s learnings into immediate effect.